Friday, 12 July, 2002, 18:11 GMT 19:11 UK
Alison Cousins: taking a brother to court
Alison Cousins

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they should not take another member of their church to court.

1 Corinthians 6:1, 5

"Does anyone of You that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones?"

"I am speaking to move You to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among You that will be able to judge between his brothers, but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?"

Alison's story

Alison Cousins is grew up in the small Ayrshire town of Stevenson, just outside Glasgow, where her parents were active members of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

When she told the elders of her local congregation that her father was abusing her they told her they would deal with it.

They did nothing however, and eventually she went to the police.

Her father was imprisoned for five years.

Alison told Panorama:

"They told me that one of the scriptures in the Bible was that you should never take your brother to court.

"And I said to them: 'well what are you meant to do then if he's doing something wrong?'

"And they said: 'Come to us and we'll deal with it'.

"I said to them: 'Well I've already spoken to you and you've told me I'm a liar'.

"I ended up having to go to the police because they were the only people that I thought would believe me."

Traduccion
Viernes, 12 de julio de 2002, 18:11 GMT 19:11 Reino Unido
Alison Cousins: llevar a un hermano a la corte
Alison Cousins

Los testigos de Jehová creen que no deberían llevar a otro miembro de su iglesia a los tribunales.

1 Corintios 6: 1, 5

"¿Alguno de ustedes que tiene un caso en contra del otro se atreve a ir a la corte ante hombres injustos, y no ante los santos?"

"Estoy hablando para conmoverlo. ¿Es cierto que no hay un hombre sabio entre ustedes que pueda juzgar entre sus hermanos, pero que hermano vaya a la corte con su hermano, y que ante los incrédulos?"

La historia de Alison

Alison Cousins ​​se crió en la pequeña ciudad Ayrshire de Stevenson, en las afueras de Glasgow, donde sus padres eran miembros activos de los Testigos de Jehová.

Cuando les dijo a los ancianos de su congregación local que su padre la estaba maltratando, le dijeron que se encargarían de eso.

Sin embargo, no hicieron nada, y eventualmente ella fue a la policía.

Su padre fue encarcelado por cinco años.

Alison le dijo a Panorama:

"Me dijeron que una de las escrituras en la Biblia era que nunca debes llevar a tu hermano a la corte.

"Y les dije: '¿qué se supone que debes hacer entonces si está haciendo algo mal?'

"Y dijeron: 'vengan a nosotros y lo solucionaremos'.

"Les dije: 'Bueno, ya te he hablado y me has dicho que soy un mentiroso'.

"Terminé teniendo que ir a la policía porque eran las únicas personas que pensé que me creerían".